Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What I'll be up to.

Spending massive amounts of time on a stepstool.

(those are my workin' shoes! Also, not my best angle)
What am I doing up there, you ask?

I'm um, checking the specs on the rotary girder. . .

Er I'm finally starting Round Finale of the crapt room, actually. 'Member how I talked about planking the ceiling? I believe it will transform the feel of the room. I really do.

Take Layla's house, for example.


Or my Dad's.

Now that is adding archtitectual interest.

But it ain't cheap. And I'm a cheap kind a gal. (not that kind of cheap)
So in order to do this as frugally as possible, I turn to my trusty plywood.

4x8 sheets. They run me about $11 a piece.

Moved the car out of the gay-rage, and coated them with some left over primer I found in there.

Now, on the day I meant to run them through a table saw with the help of the daddy-o (and when I say "with the help", what I mean is he does the work while I hold the board and say thank you over and over and over),

I had a baaaad migraine. Ba-a-a-a-d. (total sheep bleating)
So the hubs and my daddy-o were sweet enough to chop these bad boys up into 8 in. pieces, and deliver them right down to the crapt room.

And there they've sat for over a week while I twiddle my fingers. (I did find my floor again though, for the record.)
But no more! I'm ready to do some heavy lifting/strenuous work.

Plus, I kinda miss my nailgun.

So if you need me, I'll be down in the dungeon, probably sweating. Or cussing. Or both.

12 comments:

Pressed Petals said...

Can't wait to see your ceiling! Thanks again for commenting on my blog. You read it right after I posted! If you go back to the first after photo, the black thing above the curtains...well, that's for you (for your stencils). I haven't forgotten your kind offer. Just waiting on hubby for some measurements. (I have been putting him through the ringer with my to-do list lately. ;)

Carisa Knox said...

First, I wish I had known that you were going to do your ceiling. I'm doing the ceiling in my kitchen to cover the ugliness of the previous owners. I was going to use the beadboard wallpaper ($12 for a double roll at Home Depot rocks!) but I like your idea MUCH better!
Second, please, please post lots of pictures and maybe a tutorial. Pretty please, please, please, please!!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

PS... The tropical Lip Smackers three pack are awesome!

Emily said...

I think it will look awesome. I love the look in your dad's house. That just adds the extra thing that make it special.

gina3 said...

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to see this! Hurry! I would LOVE to do this in my house but it's so expensive so if your alternative turns out great, I'll be adding another project to my list. My husband would probably tell you to take your time so he doesn't have to help with another project. (Sorry to hear you have migraines:(

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Ok, dying to see this...

And wondering, will you have help? I'm trying to imagine putting those up alone, and the physics just don't pan out.

So well, I'm curious.

And DYING to see. Did I mention that?

Lori said...

I want those ceilings and haven't figured out the "cheap" way yet. Can't wait to see yours.

chris w said...

Ditto to pretty much everyone else - I can't wait to see!!

La TempĂȘte said...

Love this idea. Yayyy planks.

WhettenWild said...

That will look awesome. Plus, I think that can double as a workout =)

Layne Bushell said...

In the basement...I thought the crapt room was upstairs. You can come to my house and swear all you want. It's allowed here (just not allowed to come out of the children's mouth!) It's gunna be great!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Now you have peeked my interest. I cannot figure how you are going to get a plank look with those, but you have surprised me before. I have total faith in you. Good luck and I will be standing by for the update.
Brooke

littlebeachbum said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I love planked ceilings...Although since I am 5'2 and scared of heights I don't see that I will be doing any myself any time soon haha. I'm interested to see how you do them tho - I agree with Carisa in that you should do a tutorial!!