Saturday, June 26, 2010

This was a labor of hate.

Dude, I had had it. The blinds in my kitchen?

Had.It.

They're kid magnets. See?

Oh yeah, that's safe. Wrap it around yer neck there, son.

They fall onto the floor; they're out on the deck. They're broken. They're fugly.

Um, hello? I'm right here! I can hear what your saying about my nasty kitchen floor. It was next on my list, kay?
(note to self: sweep prior to picture taking)

Now might be a good time to say that I'm on a quest. The quest to trim in all of my non-trimmed windows in the house. Well, most of the 34 of them. And so, I said to myself,
"Self, it's time to trim in this slider door and get a fab curtain rod and some curtains."

And then when I saw this (and other pictures like it)

(where did I get this beautiful room from? I can't remember of course)
I was like, waaaaait. What am I talking about you ask? What does my kitchen slider door have to do with this beautiful boudoir? The windows. THE WINDOWS. Take a look-see.

The curtain rod is hidden by gawgeous trim. The curtains doth flow freely from the trim. I must try this.

And so I visited the hardware store. Came back with fluting (of course!),

some nice looking baseboard (remember that I use trim with no regard to it's intended purpose),

and a piece of MDF.

And then I made the mistake again of asking the lumber dude about that piece of MDF and how it would work being routed. To which he replied:

"You know? I'm the kind of guy who just does this himself. I've got all the tools. I've got a table saw. . . " (this is where I shut my brain off and asked myself why I asked this dude a question. Again. How are you answering my question telling me about your tools? You're the tool.)

But anyhow, after putting my little shelf/box/curtain rod holder/molding thingy together, having to take it apart and screwing up on it twice (who's the tool?), it was ready to hang.


and this is where I'd like to take the opportunity to tell you a cool trick the daddy-o taught me.

Ever heard of a "french cleat"? It's the coolest way to hang something heavy. Or as my daddy-o would say: "once you learn this method you'll never go back." So I could try to explain it. But I won't. Much. 'Cause I will confuse you.

You're taking a piece of wood. One that is the length of your project. You're cutting it in half. And you're cutting the ends on an angle, so as to have them fit together as a jigsaw.
See here:

One piece is going on your project. The other will go onto the wall, into your studs.

Like so. And all you have to do is lift your project and "hang" it onto your puzzle piece, so to speak.

It's strong, it's sturdy, and you can lift it off the wall if needs be.


And we're done here.

I'll be honest: removing the blinds has opened up my kitchen quite a bit. I'll enjoy the extra "space" for now.

Until I can find some good curtains that are good for hiding dirty little handprints, that is.

toolsareforwomentoo

22 comments:

WhettenWild said...

It looks SO good.....and I can't believe how fast you got it done.....or that you did it the day that you were having a big extended family party. Plus, you've had a bunch of extra people over at your house. Yep, you are super woman!

Dara said...

Looks amazing and may I suggest curtains that can help with the heat...because when that sun beats in there...it gets H O T!!!!
I am still in shock over all the wonderful things you have done with that house!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

You should do a curtain rod that has the rings that clip to the curtains so they can slide out of the way to open the door. That is what I did on my french doors in the bedroom. Worked like a charm. I am in a Florida vacation condo right now (waiting for family to wake up) surrounded by the blinds you just ripped out. Hate these things.

gina3 said...

I actually knew what a cleat was! I also didn't notice your floors until you mentioned them. It looks great! Now for some curtains. Go get the $10 drop cloths for curtains until you find the ones you want. They are washable, durable and neutral. I think someone actually painted or dyed them to a color they preferred. Can't wait to see what curtains you end up with.

Emily said...

I have those blinds in my kitchen and downstaris and I have hated them for as long as I have had them. Thanks for the idea, I might steal this one. Ü

kristalucasphotography said...

lovely!! and i bought some curtains to replace the same blinds on my two sliding doors at ikea - only $15 for the pair, and they're long and wide! :) good luck!

Teri said...

Wow - that is very cool! It even sounds like something I could do myself...so, that top piece (the piece you attach your project to) doesn't have to be anchored to the wall at all?! Crazy!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

"The curtain doth flow freely..."

is the best line in the history of discussion window coverings EVER.

Leca said...

That looks great. Although until you get curtains, I wouldn't recommend walking through the kitchen naked. You know-- just until the privacy keepers are up.

Layne Bushell said...

Piggybacking off the drop cloth idea...PAINT IT! With cool stencils...it'll look like fabric for way way cheap! I can see the fleurs all over it...my designer friend just did something like that...I'll try to find the link for you....

PS you.are.a.ROCK.STAR.bar.none.

Layne Bushell said...

Mandi-here's the link (i grew up with this uber talented girl & her siblings...you'd love her tricks!)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=703044576#!/pages/San-Francisco-CA/Shannon-Kaye/200726856208?ref=ts&ajaxpipe=1&__a=7

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

AHHHH those are blinds from my nightmares! That also consequently hang STILL on my front and back windows. Dang it.

Oh yeah, and your trim looks bomb.

chris w said...

I said it before, and I'll say it again: HOLY CRAP - you're amazing!

1 Funky Woman said...

I love the Tool talking about his tools! Ha you are too funny. I can just imagine your face when he was talking. Well you go girl! I think it opens it up too! I mean hey, you don't need privacy, its overrated. My neighbors don't seem to mind when I streak through the kitchen and yours won't either. You have learned from the master and you did a great job!

Are you ever going to answer me about your vinyl. Do you have a circuit, is that how you make all these great things?

Meg

Amanda said...

Wow! So cool! We have ugly vertical blinds on our kitchen slider door. Half of them have been pulled out by the kids. I HATE them! I love your idea. Maybe I'll have to steal it. I even have a long piece of tall baseboard just sitting out in the garage.

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

You are crazy handy!! Nice work attacking that! Two and a half weeks and I'll have windows to treat!! I CANNOT wait:)

Anny said...

This is going to look great! My parents had blinds like that in their house and I always hated them.

La Tempête said...

Looks awesome, as always.

dena4kids said...

nice job! looks great! come on over and help me!!!!

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

This is an amazing solution to a common problem. You did a fantastic job on it! Way to go! I'm so glad you linked this to Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

littlebeachbum said...

I LOVE this! This is going to look phenomenal when you get those curtains up. I have those damn blinds in my apartment and so many have fallen off I'm started to acquire quite the collection to stash under my bed...I wish I could do something about them. So jealous of your new look!

Audra said...

Behind on reading blogs and catching up. This inspires me as I finally took down our sliding glass door blinds and hung a curtain rod. I think this looks fantastic.

Once again...you inspire!