Friday, June 4, 2010

It's kinda barn-y in here.

First off, thank you for all the comments/advice/pep talks concerning my seriously sucky pity party this week. This is one pity party that I didn't enjoy and want to be soooo over, never to come again.

So proj├ęt finale in the crapt/guest room is complete.

Dudes, it was a job. I kinda liked it though; it was hard and yet, it wasn't.

So let's chit chat a little about this, huh?
There was nothing really wrong with this ceiling;


nothing really right, either. (Do you like my stars upon thars?)

So here's how you start:

Find your joists. Run yer stud finder all over the ceiling. Shield your eyes from falling ceiling texture. Pick it out of your hair later.

Have a really cool Daddy-o who's willing to help you get started. Chalk line all your joists so you know where to put your nails. 'Cause no one needs a board to the back of the head. Well, some people do, but you know.

Realize that you're not standing at the joist your daddy-o is standing at, hence, the crisscrossed chalk line on the ceiling.
My bad.

Ask your Daddy-o and your hubby over and over if your going to be electrocuted from the light hanging out.
And you are ready to go.

These are your best friends.

Keep your hammer nearby. Like even through a belt loop nearby, 'cause you'll need it a lot to knock the boards into place here and there. The glasses keep the crap out of your eyes, the ear plugs help you not break an ear drum from the echoing down from the ceiling every.time. you pull the trigger, AND it helps me not be so sceered of the saw. (Seriously, I am that afraid of loud noises? Seriously.)

I mean I'm still afraid-- but in a healthy-respect, I'd-like-to-keep-all-my-digits kind of way.

Speaking of the saw, have someone willing to wheel it down for you so it's right there for every cut you need to make is rad.

Total time saver, man.
So as I said previously, you need to know where your joists are, and your panels are going to need to be the opposite direction, so as to have somewhere to nail into, if you follow me.

This is just like laying hardwood floor, 'cept your neck is craned and your arms are burning and you're getting ceiling crap in your eyes.
Rule #1:
your joints. Tightly spaced.


(please don't notice that; it was hard to hold that over my head, on a step ladder, nail gun held with my knee caps)
Rule #2:
your joints in their rows (not the wood together, those need to be tight. The joints row by row): space them as far as you can make them. It's prettier that way. Are you following me?

No need for exercise on this day-- working on the ceiling is all you'll ever need and then some.

Trade s'more favors with the hubs to put in my totally free chandelier, and we're good here.

I ended up using 6 pieces of $11 plywood. Unfortunately I still know my multiplication tables, dang it. But, BUT!

-The similar look of wallpaper would have been at least $90. And a pain.in.the.rear. (think sanding off all the texture. . . )
-Beadboard would have been $120.
-Tongue and groove planking would have been $130 or so.
We won't talk about how I'm currently adding crown molding to it, too, then. . .

So here we've got a before.

And the after.


But it does change the feel of the room, no?

Incidentally, I saw this lovely floor used with plywood at the same time I was doing my ceiling.

Dude. PLYWOOD. They averaged it to be like .45 a foot. It's like my ceiling (with thicker wood) on the floor. Man I've been considering a floor re-do in the laundry room and now the wheels are spinning. . .



Linked to The Shabby Nest.

toolsareforwomentoo

19 comments:

chris w said...

I love it! You did an amazing job. Anybody who leaves nasty comments needs a board to another part of the body - a little lower than the head - because they have obviously not been doing projects and don't know the pain/joy.

It looks SOOOOO good!

Emily said...

that looks amazing! I love it! You do the coolest things in your house!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

My arms hurt just thinking about it...

But I HATE ceiling texture (we had to pay 5 grand to get ours out cause it had asbestos in it...lovely!) and I love the plank ceiling look.

Go you, wuman!!

Trina said...

Wow, I love how that turned out! It's making my neck ache and my arms burn just to read about it. It really does change the feel of the whole room - I love it!

littlebeachbum said...

wow, i LOVE that planked ceiling! It looks amazing, especially combined with that FABULOUS chandelier. Seriously...this is way too pretty to be hidden away in the crapt/guest room!! Haha. Fantastic job! :)

WhettenWild said...

It looks great! I'd be freaking out over the wires and asking 100 times too =)

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

I just can't believe I doubted. I just couldn't imagine those thin strips looking that good. It's amazing. You are crazy cool. I love the floor too, hmmmm where could I use that. I'll come up with something.
Thanks for sharing that, love it.
Brooke

Amanda said...

It looks awesome! Really, it does-- I'm not just saying so to be really nice.

So, about the plywood on the floor. I'm interested for my house. If you put it on the floor, do you just paint it with regular paint like deck paint/stain? Would the paint chip and wear quickly like it does on my back steps? What would you use?

gina3 said...

That ceiling looks great!!! The chandelier is absolutely beautiful!!! Can I rent your Daddy-O?
(I HATE loud noises too!)

dena4kids said...

I love it! Come on over and put it in my kitchen for me! I will pay you in candy!=)

Sandy said...

please come to my house and do my kitchen ceiling.. I took down the entire ceiling and raised it 8"s.. and put up drywall and now it's so lumpy!! guess I'll have to pay someone to smooth it out.. thought of putting 'bead board'??
Great job!
Sandy

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

I am loving watching the transformation of this room! You are such an inspiration to other women out there that they should and can go for these kinds of projects. This is what Modern Craftswoman Monday is all about! Thanks for sharing! Rory

Amanda said...

Wow - that really adds to the room! I love it! Great job -- it looks like you did a TON of work!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This is amazing. I love it! And I love the chandelier. I need one now.

Kristi said...

Wow, Mandi, it looks great!! I need to talk to hubs about the plywood floor. That might be right up his alley! Also, I found a book the other night that goes into detail on how to so concrete counters so I think we may have found an affordable way to redo those too. This bloggy stuff is paying off! ha ha

Ali@Honey and Maple Syrup said...

I love the ceiling - it looks purdy!

Brambleberry Cottage said...

I love the plank ceiling! It looks great with the walls and the window treatments.

I would like to invite you to visit the cottage, and join in on all the fun for my three linky parties:

ASK THE YANKEE - MONDAYS
TIPS & TRICKS TUESDAY
TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY

You can get the details here:

http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/06/brambleberry-cottage-linky-party.html

Hope to see ya there!
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

One Life Many Journeys said...

I just sent this link to my Mom! This treatment would work for one of her rooms. Thanks for the inspiration!!! By the way I LOVE the chandey!

Karin Knowland said...

Love it! Are you still happy with the planked ceiling after living with it a while? My crazy brain decided I need to plank our bedroom ceiling. I'm going to stain our plywood a silver-gray with a steelwool/apple cider vinegar stain. Thanks for the inspiration!