Friday, May 28, 2010

Why wait?

So I had ants in my pants. Ag-ay-an. Decided Johnny Dangerously should be moved from his crib to his big boy bed.

And I thought subconsciously to myself, "Well, I guess we'll just have to wait until Dad gets home from work for that."

And then it dawned on me:

"Why? Can you not carry a 30 pound crib downstairs? Can you not carry a 30 pound bed upstairs? Is your drill finger painted on?"

So I did it myself.
Little help from Mr. Drill,

and we've got Ron John all set in his lil bed.

So he can get out of bed 20 times at night to tell knock-knock jokes that make no sense,

before he finally konks out. I like to torture myself in that way.

So why bring this up, you ask?

We-he-he-hell, I'll tell you. I've heard many a comment lately on the subject matter of asking the hubby to do it, or waiting for the hubs.

Fact: If I waited for my hubby to get stuff done around here, nothing would be done.
Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

(Sorry. If you don't watch Jim & Dwight you just don't get that last one.)

Now wait! Don't take that the wrong way, here. He is bizzzz-ay. Take his last Saturday off, for example. He started at 9:00 am. Finished at 6:30 pm. And he:

-cleaned out the garage.

(psssst: he got so sick of my crap everywhere he created one work space for me and put all my trim in that bucket. Aww. . . .)

-Put in a new electrical outlet for the garage door.

-Fixed the leak in the bathroom sink.

-Fixed the "bib" (I don't know what this means) for the hose. (Did you know we were supposed to unhook the hose before it freezes? NOW we know)

-Replaced most of the plumbing under the kitchen sink to stop a bad leak.

Yeeee-ah. Bizzz-ay. He doesn't have time for my wild, odd ideas. That's not to say he doesn't step in and help. 'Cause he will.

And if your hubby is like my hubby, if it's his idea, he's all for it. If it's mine, well, let's just say he might act slightly T.O.'d.

I'm not knockin' him- it's just human nature.

So what is my point? What does this have to do with anything?

Nothing. Everything.

You should have seen me the first time I used a nail gun. What was I afraid of? That it would come back out of the wall and hit me in the cheek? The knee?

Oh wait. That's already happened.

You should see the way I still use a miter saw. No, you shouldn't. The words "Dumb Butt" come to mind.

But I am sooo glad I'm not waiting for crap to get done.

-Does this mean I dare use a table saw? Pffft.

-Does this mean I can drill 1 screw into hardibacker in the time it takes Jeff to do 10 to 20? Yes!

-Does this mean, that in the event of an earthquake, 90% of our wall art will come crashing to the ground?

Yeee-ah! And I can say, "I did that."

Now let's go make something, ladies!

19 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Love it. I try to do things myself too, but some things I am just to scared!!!! I am getting older, wiser and braver though.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

I'm in a major state today.

Dunno why. Total funksville.

So I think what I'm going to make today is a big ol' cocktail.

Although even the effort for THAT is getting to me today.

littlebeachbum said...

Mandi, I just love your blog! I love your photographs, your creative projects, and your children are just darling - and on top of everything you are just stinkin' hilarious! I can't wait to read your posts every day :)

P.S. I LOVE the "Bored" jar idea!!

Emily said...

I need to be like you and just figure out how to be handy. With Dave's work schedule, I have waited forever to get stuff done. I don't mind because he does work his but off, but if I could figure it out it would be less for him to worry about. You ROCK!!

Janelle Bartlome said...

I'll tell you why I don't do things by myself... I am never by myself. Never.

I am terrible at doing things with kids around. They don't leave me alone even when I scra at them. Then I have the guilt that I am screaming at them.

So I wait until the night. Then hubby will help because- well what else does he have to do? (ha)

Renee said...

Woot! Love this post... You are so rad! I love my table saw!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

I'm with you girl, lets go into the battlefield together. I have to do things myself because usually when I ask hubby he thinks, whatever it is, is not necessary.
Brooke

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

I blogged about your cute bored jar

www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

Amazing!! Great job!

Erin said...

I so agree with you! I get nuts when I hear/see these "waiting for my husband" comments.

My mom is the kind of girl who gets things done, because my Dad was always at work or busy. The two of us have figured out how to use more than one tool. Heck with Google it is no wonder girls get married at all! lol...

Love my husband, but I would rather do it myself, when I want it done! The only hurry he is ever in is for his projects!

WhettenWild said...

Way to take matters into your own hands. Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight =)

Carisa Knox said...

Right there with you sister. I bought wood to make my table top today (BTW, I put the drink down before I even started because retail thereapy is soooo much better than alchohol) and edge banding. I'm getting off the computer in a minute and will iron on the banding and prime the top before bed while the hubs is playing his PS3.
Tomorrow, he'll be watching the baby while my 6 yr old and I put the table together and paint her chairs her new favorite color- scarlet. Not red. Scarlet. She is offically over pink. I think I want to cry a little. But I'm consoling myself with thinking of the fun we'll be having tomorrow.

gina3 said...

You know what else? It's actually fun! My husband and I almost had a fight over an electric sander because we both wanted to use it first to sand one table. I went rushing around trying to find other things to sand because it was so much fun. I can do pretty much all of it myself except really heavy lifting. I do admit I sometimes get my husband to do things because he will and it's easier, not because I can't ;)
Great post!

1 Funky Woman said...

Love it! I can't imagine waiting for him. I think if I waited for my husband to be available to get things done the kids might be starting high school and I'd be so old and grey. I'm one that if I want it done I just do it and sometimes he notices and other times not!

Sue said...

Go girl power!
Bless li'l Johnny in his big boy bed. Personally I'm for keeping them in a crib until they start highschool. Then they actually like being in bed, getting them out is the hard part!

La TempĂȘte said...

I too have been making the change from waiting til hubby gets home to "Why do I HAVE to wait? I've got 2 arms, 2 legs and a heartbeat. I am woman, hear me roar/watch me craft/build/create"!

Ashlee said...

Can i just say I love the way you write! I've never even meet you and I can just totally HEAR your voice! SO much fun to come read you! MY husband isn't handy. He's not allowed near MY tools, the computer or even the DVD player... So it will only get done if I do it! SO I DO!

dena4kids said...

I am proud of ya! I am still a little scared of the nail gun...but if something needs to be nailed crooked 2 or 3 times... I'm your gal.=)

Kim said...

Thanks for posting this!!! I needed to read this TODAY!!! I have been waiting for it to work into his schedule KNOWing it never would & now I have the courage to do it myself. THANK YOU!!