Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh Ye Who Hath A Green Thumb.

I garden like I sew. If that makes no sense to you, I'd sooner wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, then grow or sew anything worthwhile.

And yet, despite that, I got myself one of thems terra cotta pots.

And like many other crafty peeps, I spray painted mine.

I love black. You?
I'm sure you've noticed by now that I love numbers. Yep, I do. And I thought it would just be so darned cute if it sat out on my porch with my house number on it.

Now, I know what you're thinking!
What if some perv reads your blog?
That there's only a portion of my house number. Let's also not forget that I am the proud owner of an itchy trigger finger AND a Smith & Wesson. And let's not forget my dog, who likes to take a chunk out of things. I won't tell you where, but let's just say all I have to do is yell "Junk!" And he attacks. Kay?

So anywho, here it is out there on the porch.

So, aside from needing one of those under the pot plate thingys (that's the technical term), can someone suggest what flower should wither flourish in there?
Much obliged.

11 comments:

Kristi said...

A red geranium!! It'll look awesome with the black & white.

1 Funky Woman said...

Love black of course and the numbers are so cute! I need to see the front of your house so not sure of what color since black flowers are not an option, ha! But hey maybe the perv won't come, he''ll think you are a freak or maybe goth, lol! What about geraniums, they love sun and I think they are pretty hearty!

Hey I am organizing my crafty/schmafty work area and I might be putting my lovely vinly there! It is a work in progress! So what is this vinly cutter thingy majig you have? I am thinking of painting our garage door that leads to our kitchen black and put something like, "Really, you inside?" or Caution crazy woman inside!

gina3 said...

Stick a little mini-trellis thingy in it and plant English ivy. It's low maintenance, green and looks great. I have a lot of it on my porch. Also, Lantana is super easy to grow. Get it in red or white. That would look great in a black pot. Can't wait to see what you put in it.

Kristi said...

gina3 is right about Lantana. It's sooo low maintenance and butterflies love it. I'm about to do a post on Lantana in the next couple of weeks. I've been taking photos every week to show how fast it grows. I've just been waiting for it to flower so I can show how pretty it is. Flowers just started popping up today so it won't be long.

Anonymous said...

I bought some terra cotta planters, filled them with blue bells, and set them out flanking my garage. They look beautiful! And I did not get the pot plate thingys since my pots are outside. The excess water just drains out. No biggy.

And I'm anonymous, not because I'm some crazy psycho stalker, but because I've forgotten my login.

Renee said...

Pink geraniums...pink will balance out the boy-ness in your household! lol... They are hard to kill & they repel mosquitos.

OR...

rosemary, in case you cook something italian! :)

OR...

spearmint...then you could whack it with a broom before your guests come over to release the scented oils.

or, green onions, lettuce, & a radish or two...salad in a pot!

OR...a fake flower!

Emily said...

Daisies, you should plant daisies. They are just the best. I like the pot too, it is cute, I like the black. and "thingy" is my technical name for everything, so i completely know what you are talking about. Ü

P.S. I would love to borrow some of your chalkboard paint.

WhettenWild said...

No idea on the flower.......but your post about the dog is cracking me up. It reminds me of a certain line in a certain movie......................

Janelle Bartlome said...

I am not a flower person so no suggestions here. Ask the people at the nursery.

The Crump Family said...

Gerbera Daisies they are my favorite and for me easy to keep alive. Just remember to water them! But as a couple of others have mentioned geraniums are very hardy too!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Ok, that was the reason I declined to mention that I was away from home for a week with only two cats and newly-hatched legal adult at my home.

It doesn't matter how much I THINK I'm careful with my identity on my blog, creepy dedicated people are well...creepy and dedicated.

And I am so totally swiping this idea.

Brilliant.