Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Organizing this house, one teeny shelf at a time.

This, my friends, is a small part of my pantry. The baking shelf, to be exact. Hence the chalkboard tag, aptly named "Baking".

Now, I ain't one to fish fer compliments, but that there is one purty shelf.

I would like to point out that the one above it is aptly named "junk". There's no other word to describe a shelf with both hamburger helper (junk) and crystal light packets (junk) thrown together. The "Junk" shelf, however, is cleaner than the "baking" shelf.

I would also like to take the opportunity to blame this, completely, 100% on my children. Afterall, this is the shelf with marshmallows and chocolate chips.

Sometimes I forget to lock the pantry door.

Anywho, let's renovate, shall we? I really like sauce packets. They are clearly everywhere in there. I'm a gravy, meat loaf, and hollandaise sauce packet kinda gal. I wanted a crate of some sort to hold them. And the Hob Lob let me down.

So I made my own with scraps from the Daddy-o, last night, while laughing my ace off watching "Modern Family".

Don't you judge me- I never took crate building 101 in college. You should check out my basket weaving, though.

Anywho, I'm obsessed with stencils as of late. They are a hoot.

There.

And then I let Mr. Sander just eat this thing up. (I love you Mr. Sander)


A hoot, I tell you!
Now, on to this awesome inspiration from Melaine over at Sweet Savannah:

I love those vintage-y tags. She even links to where you can get these for yerself.
My printer sucks (don't buy yourself a Kodak printer! Consider yourself warned). So without a printer, these cool vintage-y things can't help me. I turned to a lil vinyl. And I was likin' the look. So I ran to get my camera. . .

Heard an "UH OH!"

That is the face of a kid who knows he is dead meat.

Don't worry though-- I made it up to him after his beating.

Now, this is where some kind soul tells me why my brown sugar is as hard as rocks. Geez! White sugar: oxygen. Brown sugar: no oxygen.?. "Snip snap, snip snap!" (name that tv show character)


You know what? Screw the seasoning packets for that crate. It can hold my shmallows and chocolate cheeps!

Better? Better. Notice that I'm still not showing you my entire pantry. . . hehehe. . .

He.

18 comments:

Dara said...

Seriously, I would pay you to come make my pantry pretty! I would...seriously!

WhettenWild said...

I want one of those seasoning thingy's! Love it!

chris w said...

oooh - I'm drooling over those glass containers. Very purty shelf.

I love the pic of the dead meat kid.

Teri said...

Freakin' awesome, woman. I mean, you can actually find your cheeps of choco. Love it! I think I won't be the only one who would lurve to have one. It's the perfect shape and size! :)

Trina said...

The flour bandit picture is killing me! So funny!

I'm now coveting your crate.

Janelle Bartlome said...

You are lying- I think you did take crate building 101 in college.

Ryan and Rachel said...

No, we haven't bought it .... yet. We told her we want to rent it for a year and we'll decide from there. But they want to sell it to us! :) Did I tell you what we pay/month?

Renee said...

I want those cute glass containers. Where'd you get them?

Oh, if you add a couple of marshmellows to your brown sugar, it won't go hard. :)

dena4kids said...

it looks good! I love your containers! (and your crate!=)

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Oh my, I know exactly what you are talking about. If you have a place for it, I will tell you what saved my sanity. The shoe organizer. Go look on my blog at "The shoe organizer has many uses" I tell ya, it is heaven sent!
Love the picture of your little boy in the flour. So funny, when it's not you.
Good luck organizing.
Brooke

Emily said...

I love the Jars. They are way cute.

Suzie Button said...

OOOHHH! The jars are fantastic! I'm gonna need this also! Thanks for hopping by to see me today! Make yourself a little banner too to hang on your shelf, it'll keep your happy on! Suzie

Christy said...

I just saw your post at Someday Crafts, and I don't know whether to thankyou for the adorable pantry idea, or be a little upset that I now feel like I need to go make my pantry look like yours....which will never....ever happen!

AM from White House, Black Shutters said...

Michael Scott, love the reference.

the jars look great and you need to teach me some crate building skills... my jalepeno ones are STILL smelling jalepeno-y from like a month ago and I think I'm gonna have to go to plan B...

Yorgason said...

wow look at you will you stop and relax you are making me feel lazy..lol no looks awesome..k so we need to get together spoke with brooke she's game and so is stacy so what night works for you...email me desiree.yorgason@jetblue.com..

1 Funky Woman said...

Oh my, Modern Family was hilarious last night. I adore that show, they had better not cancel it ever! Love how you made it up to him after the beating. As it should be, ha! Great job with the crate thingy. I'll take a few please!

Anny said...

Your house is so organized and I bet all this writing helps the kids learn to read faster.

I gotta ask - do you carry your camera around all day? It seems like you capture pics of your kids faster than it would take me to even notice their faces LOL

gina@3ringcottage said...

1. Modern Family is the most hilarious thing on tv.
2. this looks so great! I like the vinyl lettering better than the vintage-y labels on your jars.
3. that little crate or a set of those jars or one of the other cool things you've done would make a great giveaway or your blog! Love that crate!!!!