Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Definitely odd. Definitely.

Maybe even odder than the door on my wall. Maybe.

And since I already forewarned you that it's odd, then you must simply know that it came straight out of my brain. Didn't see it anywhere; it's not a knockoff. Just my weird idea. So what kind of craptasticness did I throw together today?

We-he-hell, thanks for asking. The idea is. . .

Hotel keys. HOTEL KEYS!

Yes! Did I lose you?

Hello. . .?

Lemme 'splain. I want some wall art that looks like an old hotel key holder thingy.

So here's what I used.
A foam board ($2 at Walmarché)and a 20 year old canvas (free from the 'rents basement).

The aforementioned keys.

The aforementioned disk thingys.

Said I was gonna use 'em for the much knock-offed PB typesetting art. Well I changeroo'd on ya.

Some stencils,

to make these:

Many of these I had to re-do. I learned a lot about stencils today. I really did.
Too much paint makes 'em drippy. Kinda spooky actually . . .

These hotel keys are starting to look like they came out of The Overlook Hotel on "The Shining".

(clap of thunder; blood-curdling scream)
Aaaah. Here we are.

Unfortunately I took the Hob Lob's last set of pewter keys. Gonna have to wait for a new shipment to complete this. You'll forgive me, won't ya?
Now, I'm making my own frame, here. I decided to go ahead and get fancy. Go all out.
Fluting. A nice piece of trim,


Et Voila.

Hotel keys. Looks like I have a few guests, no?

Wanna see it at night?
MUAHAHAHAHA

I just kinda freaked myself out there. . .


giveaways

30 comments:

chris w said...

So the opposite of craptacular. That is awesome!

I'm loving the lightning effect.

You got some talent girlfriend.

dena4kids said...

LOL!I don't know which I like better...the art or the evil laugh and the lighting! Funny post and awesome idea.

Malisa said...

So glad I "checked in" to catch your wonderful, creative idea! I love it and will probably steal it! :) Thanks so much!

Malisa

Daddy-O said...

I love it. Your ideas are as creative as any I've seen. Musta had some really smart parents!

Joanna Taylor said...

I nearly peed my pants laughing about that lightning. muahhaahaa. Good times.

Teri said...

I think Joanna and I both need some adult diapers over here. This project is awesome, but it really is something else "at night". bahahaha!

Amy @ peppertowne.com said...

Clever, it turned out really great. Props on the frame, you've got skills.

Rose said...

That was a really clever post! Love your hotel key board and love the entertaining way you wrote this. I'll be back for sure!
Rose

WhettenWild said...

LOL! This post is cracking me up!

I love it!

Is my room ready? I see that the key to my room is missing. =)

gina@3ringcottage said...

What a cool idea. I love that frame!!!! Question: where did you get the stencils? Did you make 'em? Save the spooky ones for Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you crack me up! I love you and everything but after that post, I really don't want to stay at your hotel. You might mod podge me to death or something.

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely adorable! What a delightful project! ...so glad you had a vacant room for me. My grandparents ran the old hotel here in town... You know the kind... huge wrap around porch with rocking chairs everywhere. I want to make one of these bad boys. Thanks for the awesome idea! I hopped over from Somewhat Simple and am so happy that I did! I hope to see you over at my place one day soon. until later...

Janelle Bartlome said...

So funny. I laughed outloud.

Such a cool idea.

Kelly Biggs at My Dear Trash said...

What a great way to start my day- Fabulous idea and so funny to read! Found you through Somewhat Simple. I'll be Back.. Wa, ha, ha

Jennifer @ Back at the hive said...

That is all kinds of awesome!

Emily said...

I love this. I think it is cool.

Layne Bushell said...

Can you share a bit of your wit, talent, and energy my way please. I need it!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Are you kidding me? I can't even tell you how much I love that. I love where you put it too. You have quite an imagination.
I want one reeeaallly bad.
Amazing!
Brooke

Alice W. said...

Such a fun and quirky blog you have here {I mean that in the utmost compliment of a way of course ;)}...love your hotel keys...overlook hotel style and all ;)

Kim said...

OMG your comments are great. haha..Love it. Great idea btw.

Anny said...

Totally awesome!!!

and random *thumbs up*

Ali@Honey and Maple Syrup said...

Totally cute idea...and I love the lightning bolts!!

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

Nice job-
and you thought it up on your own!
Great idea at the bottom of the stairs, too.

So these guests of yours... they
'can check in anytime they want, but they can never leave...'

You don't live in California by any chance... do ya?

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

That was supposed to be
'you can check OUT anytime you like, but you can never leave...'

typo caused by sleepy fingers...

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Very cool idea, and this was a fun post.

Lady Ren said...

Really fantastic- I love how this looks- Great blog too!

Audra said...

I am soooo in love with this. I think my heart skipped two beats. You are simply fantastic...my decorating She-ro!

The Little Red Shop said...

What a fun idea!

: )

Julie M.

AM from White House, Black Shutters said...

LMAO! Love this. And the lightning. Muuuuuahahahahaha!

Lisa said...

Completely AWESOME project!! Love this post!