Wednesday, February 24, 2010

He took it like a man.

"Son." I said.
"I have bad news. You can't go back to school unless I get your one last vaccination. I have to take you to the doctor. Right now. That means a shot."

And like the good mom I am, I waited for his total, absolute, freak out reaction.


And instead of comforting him and putting my arms around him, it was more like this.
"WHAT? I have to get a shot??"
(snap, snap) "Yeah, I'm sorry hon." (snap, snap)

(snap snap snap snap)
(follow him with my camera as he freaks out and runs into his room to hide)

(snap snap snap)
(haul my camera with me to the doctor)

"Oh my gosh. I have to have a shot? A SHOT? A SHOT? OH MY GOSH. A SHOT?"
(snap snap snap)

He sounded like a crazy man, repeating himself over and over. Talking to no one.
And everyone in the waiting room was listening.

Somehow, we talked some sense into him. Maybe it was 'cause I told him that stubbing his toe hurts worse. Or when he ran into the side of the island in the kitchen. That definitely hurts worse. Or how he and Jace pound the crap out of each other. That has to hurt worse.

Maybe it was just 'cause I told him he could get that Bakugan he's wanted forever if he'd take it well.


Well, whatever the reason, he stopped crying. It didn't take 4 of us to hold him down this time. He gasped, and that was it.



Oh, and he really likes his Bakugan.

10 comments:

chris w said...

Seriously, Best.Mom.Ever.
I'm not even being sarcastic. You can't reason, comfort(until afterwards at least), logic, or reason with them about shots. So taking pictures and bribing is the only thing left. And I'm thinking anyone who gets stabbed in the leg deserves a new Bakugan.

dena4kids said...

LOL! I love that you waited till you had your camera! You crack me up!
I agree, anyone one who gets a shot should get a new toy.=) I am glad it is all over for him.

Emily said...

I'm glad kayla isn't the only one who freaks out about shots. I love that you took your camera with you. that is just the coolest ever!!

Ryan and Rachel said...

If I come out there and get a shot, will you buy me a toy? Cuz I'll do it. I'll even let you take pictures.

Teri said...

I agree with Chris W...you're a great mom! Just one more reason we are probably soulmates. But, uh....what's a bakugan?

Teri said...

Uhh, not that I'm a mom, I just appreciated good mothers! LOL

Dede said...

Poor kid!! You are definitely a fab mom...my kids are totally jealous:-)

Tausha said...

I love it when I get to laugh out loud. You rock girl. So glad that I am not the only "mean" mom around.

Laney said...

I just stumbled on your blog from somewhat simple. I love the way you write! Look forward to following you. FYI - my hubby just looked over my shoulder and said "why is Ryan wearing glasses". My son looks exactly like that when he cries! LOL

Sarah said...

I love your strategy, and just for the record I'm totally in. I took my 7 year old to the doctor for a physical last week and he begged for a shot! He maintains that the day he got his 5 year old shots was the best day of his life. And I'm not ashamed, sometimes bribery and gifts are called for! ;>
God's blessings,
Sarah :D