Monday, January 18, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-check!

You've never ever heard me mention this project.
#86: Ask Jeff nicely to do the mantel, CHECK! 'Cept I didn't even have to ask. It just got done, man.
The plans:

The all-white jigsaw puzzle:

After everything was cut, (and I should be saying "everything" with gigantic air quotes), we figured it'd be a 2 hour project, tops.
Laid 'er out:

And by doing so, discovered that things were off. Trips were made to Dad's workshop, who kindly let us use his saw.

There's a reason why he needs this sign. Really. But I'm not the only child who steals/uses tools.

We headed over to make new cuts not once, not twice, not thrice. I lost count. I'm thinking 5 or 6. Seriously. And when I say "we" headed over, I really mean Jeff.


He worked and worked. (Work it!)



(Work it!) Just kidding. Geez.
Despite the looks of things, no nails were shot into any hands.

And we have a finished project.

Ta Da.
Do you know what this means? Do you hear what I'm trying to tell you?
New spot to decorate! Woot!
And since you asked, making our own mantel was a grand total cost of $60. Much cheaper than some hire-out work, no?

Oh, and since you asked. .. my project. It ain't for lack a trying, but we're experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by.

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

18 comments:

chris w said...

Nice!! Can't wait to see the finished decorating.

The Schoonies said...

that is awesome and only 60 bucks! do you guys hire out...we have some projects around our house you could work on!!!

WhettenWild said...

I love it! You guys did a great job!


BTW..........No one can blame me for Dad's tools going missing =)

dena4kids said...

Awesome! Nice Job Jeff!:)

Anny said...

I am *so* impressed!

La TempĂȘte said...

Hey that looks great!

Julia from findingbeauty@home and BellePapier said...

Beautiful! Love the classic accents!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

Please come do that in my house!!!!

gail@myrepurposedlife.blogspot.com said...

great job! nice job showing the how to's.
gail

Treasia Stepp said...

Wow, it looks incredible. Great job. Looking forward to seeing it all decked out.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Impressive! You, your man and your Dad's tools did a great job.

Cheryl said...

What an amazing job! Looks wonderful!
~Cheryl

trish said...

Wow! Great job!
-Trish

Jen R. said...

It looks great! I love how all of the elements came together!

Jennifer DeDonato said...

What a great job. I want a nail gun!!

Shannon said...

Amazing! I think some of the best projects are those that are done yourself. Dont you agree? I love the photos on your header by the way... made me laugh. :-)

Kirsty said...

The mantel looks amazing. However my husband and I are sharing great laughs over what your kids say! And he LOVES your header!

Thanks for the giggles. I needed them today!

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I love your new fireplace mantel. Isn't it such a great feeling to design it and build it? I know I enjoyed creating my fireplace so much. I can't wait to see how you decorate it.