Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Meanwhile,

while I'm not working on the mantel,
(Jeff: "Um, why don't ya just wait til I can do it?" Dad: "Um, why don't ya just wait til Jeff can do it?"). Such faith in me.
I'm doing other shtuff.

I've looked for a bookcase I love for about 5 months now. Found one I adore. Hob Lob sells it, and it had my name written all over it. And. .. it was $350. Sorry, I can think of a lot of things to spend that kind of bank on. So I opted for something similar, with the same type of look.

Picked the cheapest (well nearly) bookcase at Walmart. Better Homes & Gardens.

Now look at this backing. What is that? Painted cardboard? nooooho.

With folds in it??
Replaced it with beadboard.

Ain't that looking better? Now I heart you, bookcase.
And I put all the books in.

Not. 2 of these won't fit all the books we have. Also, while I'm thinking of it, if you live in NC, and you have lost your copy of "The Host", somehow I stole it from you. I am so very sorry. I definitely don't need 2 copies. Let's still be friends, even though I am an unintentional klepto.

Now if I'd have retrieved my camera, the 2nd part of this post would be "Fun things to do with a can of spray glass frosting". Or, "When one woman gets out of hand with the spray frosting and goes to town on the entire house." I prefer the former. But that's for another day. Why'd I leave my camera behind? I'm off to get it this afternoon. Sigh.

P.S.: How much trouble do you think I'll be in when the hubby notices that there's a very large, black, spray-painted rectangle on the floor of the gay-rage from said beadboard? Just curious.

19 comments:

The Schoonies said...

How do you find the time and the patience to do all these projects?? You are AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your fav blogs...great inspiration:)

dena4kids said...

Love the bookcase! Great job! Just tell jeff that the big brown spot has ALWAYS been there! (but be warned you may have to distract him with some of your womenly wiles. You know what I'm talking about....=)

chris w said...

ok - you rock! I have been trying to figure out how I would do a cheap bookcase for my kids' room to fit the carribean look. um...voila!

Tiffany said...

Oh that turned out totally cute Mandi, can you make me one now? :)

Erin Bassett said...

That looks fab!! You did a great job!

Renee said...

Love the beadboard idea...looks great!!

Trina said...

Genius call on the beadboard!! What a huge difference!

steffany said...

Love the beadboard, and the "&"

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Beadboard just makes everything more lovely!

Carla said...

Love your frugal version. The beadboard is perfect.

Melissa Miller said...

It is fabulous! Great job! :)

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

I love bead board!! Have several pieces left from breakfast nook project and can't wait to use it on some projects!

blessings
mary

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love the beadboard and I hate when they put cardboard on a bookcase like that. Who do they think they're kidding? Me, I'd be in trouble with the spray paint on the garage floor. Do you have any sawdust or something you can put over it? Just until you spray paint something that matches the garage floor.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Bead board is a wonderful addition to so many projects! It sure did the trick here.

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

You know I love it!! Beadboard is the perfect finishing touch!

Anny said...

I never thought to do this - what a great idea!

Cara Starr @ JohnsonManorisms said...

Very cool!!

Sandy said...

Great ideal! Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I have a couple of cheap bookcases like that. I will totally be doing this to them! It looks like a million dollars!