Friday, May 16, 2008

DECLINED

I had a full out mountain-load of groceries today at the store. That's a feat when I go with all my kids. I'm the person you dread getting behind at the checkout line. What can I say? I'm into getting food storage lately, and if I'm gonna haul everyone out I'm gonna make it count.
Anyway, we're all done and I swipe my amex. Of course I use credit cards-- I want my points, man! Seriously, between putting everything on cards and Jeff's reimbursement for work, the points pay for Christmas at the end of the year. But I digress. I got this:
Card Error. Then,
Unauthorized.
Um. Ooooookay. Fine. I try the Visa.
Card Error.
Unauthorized.
Now I'm thinking 3 things:
1. There is a serious problem with this checkout line, or
2. Is there a freeze on my accounts from some crazy identity theft?
And:
3. I've seen that smug look on that lady's face before. She's thinking: "Lady, you think you're gonna come up and spend a ton here, but you've got some serious money problems. You're in debt up to your eyeballs, ain'tcha?"
Then I try my debit card. Same thing! Aaahhh. This is getting embarrassing! I am starting to want to scream: "It's your problem not mine! My cards are fine! I am not an out-of-control spender!" to her AND the line up forming behind me. (I didn't even want to turn and see how many people there were at this point.)
I'm 4 cards down, now. I don't even carry checks. I think they're annoying. I pretty much only use them for tithing nowadays. And cash?? Ha ha. That's funny. Maybe I've got a dollar and some pennies in there. She flags the manager down and explains my inability to pay, and the manager says: "Oh that ALWAYS happens at this register. It's totally messed up. You have to do it like this."
Vindication! Thank you! Take THAT crotchety old lady. Guess that's karma for formerly working in retail, and when cards would decline I was thinking that same thing. Well, SHAME on me.

9 comments:

Jessie said...

How frustrating! Glad it was THEIR problem and that you still made it home with your buttload of groceries!

Jeremy, Andrea & Halle said...

Been there sooo frustrating, but a good laugh now, thanks.

Kim said...

I have serious anxiety about this happening to me! You just lived one of my worst nightmares.
I'm glad the manager was smart.

Jen said...

Dude, that's awful. So sorry you had to go through that! And you had all the kids with you, oh man...a couple years from now you'll look back and laugh.

The Schoonies said...

Awful experience...I am glad that the manager was nice and it was all straightened out. It is so annoying to get an ornery checkout person.

Heidi said...

THat had too be frustrating! I'm glad it all worked out and you got your vindication.

I never carry checks either...and rarely cash. I like my cashback bonus on my cc too!

WhettenWild said...

So if you don't have a way to pay do you have to put all of the groceries back? I've wondered that before as well because we use our credit card for everything that we can (cash back rocks!) and I don't normally carry around another form of payment.

Mandi said...

Walmart at least can suspend the transaction, hand you a small receipt and you can ring it up at another spot. I know this 'cause Jeff forgot his wallet once. :)

dena4kids said...

Oh my gosh! I would die! Nathan's debit does it to him all the time, but lucky for me it hasn't happened with a buttload of groceries.